Friday, September 2, 2011

now's the time

fine. i'll update my blog.

we've been having fun enjoying our summer. and my interests have been other places on the web (including a new interior design website that a friend and i are doing together... more on that soon), leaving my blog neglected. sorry to my public online journal.

anywho, "now's the time" has kind of been my motto as of late. throughout my life i have been perfecting the art of procrastination. i am very good at this. always have been actually. but i've been trying to work on that lately.

so something that is going on in my life right now? about a week ago i signed up to do the santa barbara half marathon. say what? i know. i've never been a runner. i used to think people who ran just for the sake of running were crazies. then that feeling slowly and secretly changed to being a little jealous. i really was thinking i wish i was in good enough shape to run down my street without feeling like i was going to die. cause thats really what shape i was in. right before i found out i was pregnant with isaac i got in pretty good shape, and after isaac was born i wanted to feel that same feeling of being fit and strong. i did the mud run with some awesome peeps, and got to experience the race atmosphere (in a muddy, obstacle course kind of way). i can see why its kind of addicting. the energy you feel is pretty awesome. so, come november 12th, i'll be running my heart out for 13.1 miles. now's the time, right? my body has pretty much been dedicated to babies for the past 4 years, so i think this is something great i can do for myself. and i'm usually pretty excited about it : ).


so, all you hard core runners out there (i know there are at least a few of you), i need some advice. anything that helped you run long distances? i am doing a 7 mile run tomorrow and have heard that if you run over 6 miles you should be "eating" that weird food out of the little packets? where do i even get those? also, shoe selection... i have nike free's, but heard those aren't good to run more than 6 miles in. so did you have a shoe that you loved? btw- how annoying are stomach cramps? i get them most times i run (i typically run first thing in the morning before breakfast)... but they are getting less painful so usually i can run through them. also, my knee's have been acting up which is... annoying? i dont know... as you can tell i am pretty naive to the whole running world so any advice you have would be awesome.

so there (mom and jordan). there is a little update for now. i have plenty more posts i should do... and will try to apply my motto as of late to my blog as well. cause i really do love it.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

You should go to runners world. You can run on a treadmill for the dude who will then recommend shoes that wont hurt your knees.

I am sure they have those goo packets there but I know they have them at REI as well.

And I'm SO impressed with you.

Jordan Merrell said...

thank you for finally updating!!!! I am excited for you to run your race, that will be an amazing experience! My knees are why I gave up on running too but even I have been thinking that it would feel good to get out and run around the block with out feeling like I was going to die but I have done nothing to change that either haha I am excited about your new blog and wondering why I never heard about it until now! Don't wait so long to update next time :)

Courtney said...

Yeah, go get a shoe fitting at a running store. It was the best thing I ever did. The Nike Free's definitely won't be supportive enough for your long runs. I've liked Asics and Sauconys because they have good cushiong around the heel and are light weight.

There are a couple running stores in SM that I know of - one off of Wilshire near Douglas Park and one in Brentwood off of San Vicente.

Lindsey said...

i am seriously impressed with your running! i like your motto too, now's the time. it's perfect for all things in life! and yes, keep applying that to your blog, because i love your updates (and i can't wait to see the interior blog!).

Kjelstrom Family said...

Whatever you do, don't buy shoes 2-3 weeks before your actual race. Bad things happen to your feet. :) I never used gue stuff at all and did fine. I am proud of you and am excited for this great accomplishment! I love, love, love the feeling when I cross the finish line. I think back to February with fondness. :) Go Megan!!

Sara Cain said...

Hey Megan--

I have a friend that ran a half marathon in nike frees and loved it. I've done long distance running in frees as well, and my knees were pain-free for the first time in my life! It's more about the technique than the shoe...the thicker the sole is, the less flexible your foot can be so your feet end up hitting the ground kinda straight on which puts stress on your joints. Some of the best runners in the world run barefoot, because they are able to control their technique the best. I've learned you're supposed to run more on the front of your foot rather than the heel, which puts less stress on your joints and also helps propel you forward. There is a really cool book called "Born to Run"--it's pretty neat and the author goes to these crazy villages where people run 100+ miles all the time. Definitely worth reading if you haven't yet! Anyways, if you decide to run in the frees (which have less support than a lot of shoes), it's important to train in them and get your muscles used to running lighter and more towards the front of your foot--the technique is much more important than the shoe! Miss ya and can't wait to hear how your run goes!!!